April 28, 2010

Direction


An idea is a point of departure and no more. As soon as you elaborate it, it becomes transformed by thought.
Pablo Picasso

The beauty found in becoming more proficient students of whatever it is we pursue lies in its procilivity to provide us with food for thought. And the 'better' we get at it, the more it seems to demand from us, although when we love doing and learning about that with which we are so enamored, it hardly seems like that. I am always amazed at my lack of anxiety concerning time's passing when it is involved with solving problems or conceptualizing solutions for catching fish with flies. And, given the constant fluidity consistent with the nature of flyfishing, there are few, if any occasions when I am prone to sitting it back and 'calling it good'. There's always something to be thinking about, to perfect, to postulate upon. There are always new ideas springing forth, indeed so many now that I've deemed it necessary to compile and keep a list. The list grows faster than my ability to explore these dark and mysterious avenues. That might seem frustrating to some. I can't help but think that those who would experience frustration over a growing list of mysteries associated with fishing with flies are equating that with some sort of drudgery. They should all be so lucky. In discovering this, another true source of enjoyment and satisfaction attained in my search to consistently bring trout to hand with flies, I must acknowledge my education so far. For without the ability to really understand what it is I have learned to this point, it would be very unclear as to where it is I wish to go, and what I need to do to accomplish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment